Tuesday 30 September 2014

slow down

I feel like I just got here and I've been back from Nova Scotia about forty days. I'm sleepy and can't get a grip on anything. It all seems difficult to do. What is it I have to do?

Get some important tax info to my preparer. That is underway - a dear friend has gone to retrieve the files from my old house. Lots of skyping and phoning and groaning going on.

Apply for a travel grant for this workshop I'm going to. Printer isn't working suddenly. Can't take it in tomorrow anyway because my dear dear niece is arriving some time tonight and will only be here a very short time before haring off again. Plus - it is tricky - one can't make any travel arrangements until the grant is safely in and being reviewed and so the prices don't make any sense - especially in a place with such wildly expensive travel. If there is any reason to dislike our national carrier, then its stranglehold on the North is a good place to start.

Do my meditation for the day and the chants. Will do both as soon as I'm done this. That I can do - then dismantle my shrine (easy) and bring it down to our bedroom as lovely niece will be staying in that room. Get out towels and so forth - beds are always ready here at Hotel Strivver (the affectionate if obnoxious name the youth call North West River).

Put laundry away and decide on tonight's meal - something I can reheat for hungry travelers though they wouldn't have gotten to Blanc Sablon before noon and they have a good ten hours traveling after that.

Maybe cauliflower soup? I'm making a nice rich broth right now so that would be good. And easy to reheat. Maybe a chowder? Yes, that would also be good and we have plenty of fish, potatoes, onions, carrots and cream.

Wait wait wait to hear about job. I think that is what is bumming me out and making me anxious. Nothing to do but wait.

Also - in that nig-naggy way, I have to get my clearance from the police department which should be there by now, get my hair cut a bit, register for local health insurance, and so on. gah. Oh, get a new driver's licence from here too. There then.

What a boring bunch of stuff (except for my niece coming). No wonder I'm sleepy.

Here is a gravestone we found in the cemetery in Mud Lake. The fella thinks that the two were betrothed - he went off to the First World War and she died in the flu epidemic. Quite a story - quite a stone.

1 comment:

  1. Jan - I often find myself sleepy like that when there's a long list of things to do. It's a sign from my body to stop, b-r-e-a-t-h-e and just do one thing at a time. It all gets done...

    ReplyDelete